Monday 8 June 2009

Mexico Diary - I vow to tease you until my last breath



It was just a moment. So tiny, I might have missed it had I breathed.

The sun was high in a sky coloured a perfect cloudless blue. I was strolling around an art and crafts market with our Spanish class teacher and the only other student in my class, P from Zurich. Amidst the colour and festivities of the artisenias, I saw them.

She was seated, her hands busy with cross-stitch or embroidery or something of the sort, something wonderfully feminine and totally alien to me. Before her, a delectable spread of her delicate work was proudly placed on a table cloaked in white fabric.

He wore a white cowboy sombrero made of fine weave straw. His personality showed through his swagger as he came up behind her, slowly he bent over and leaned in until his mouth was only a breath away from her ear. She stirred as though she knew he was near. His mouth moved slowly, and as he spoke, the corners of his mouth turned up into a mischievous smile. She wriggled free from his grip on her shoulders and shooed him away like a pesky fly and refocused on her work, her nose crinkling to make a little face at him. He came back with the same gusto and bravado as a kamikaze fly plagued with hunger. Except his hunger appeared only to be the need for his senses to be filled with her. Once again his mouth curled up into a grin, as he whispered gently in her ear, this time with a firmer grip on her shoulders so she couldn’t get away. Then when he’d finished speaking he gently pulled her toward him so he could plant a soft kiss resolutely on her cheek. Her resolve was admirable, but her eyes gave away everything when she finally glanced up to behold his face for just a moment. Instinctively, I reached for my camera as I could never resist perfect beauty, but I found my hand shrinking back as it reached its quarry. The camera remained in my bag respectfully, and instead I replaced my sunglasses to hide my eyes for I could feel them start to moisten.

From their hands, I guessed a possible age, they testified to a long full life of honest hard work. But their faces were soft and smooth like a child’s, and the sunlight danced in their eyes. I smiled as I thought back to my urban friends…that perhaps love is the best anti-wrinkle cream.

When the moment receded, I became angry. I didn’t understand why life chose to keep bringing me back to love. When I was trying to focus elsewhere, to ponder my raison d’etre, figure out my next career move, decide on my next meal… But everywhere I turned I was being confronted by it…a mother gazing down on her baby in a crowded bus, a little girl reaching up to grab her father’s hand as she called out ‘Papi’, a couple embracing like it was their final embrace even though they were only parting for an hour. I was an unwilling, unwitting witness to love in such pure forms, as though I was an open book that refused to be closed.

Mais ca c’est la vie. It is not always up to you, when Life chooses to deal the cards that are meant to teach or show you the path to change or to evolve. It is sometimes when you are the most vulnerable that you are also the most open to her.

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you write. So full of passion.

    I know what you mean about those "feminine" women. How do they do that? In Turkey, the women seem to have cast a spell on themselves before leaving the house each day. They are all perfect dolls, and every movement is lady-like and graceful. I feel like a frumpy truck barreling down the sidewalk beside them.

    About life always showing what you're trying to ignore, well, I think you chose something rather difficult to ignore. If you want to stop thinking about Marxism, sheep in New Zealand, or the Hindi language, then I think Life will let you. But how dare you even attempt to stop thinking about the source of life itself! :) Life is reminding you that Love is the center of it all, I think. That's the last thing possible to ignore.

    Sorry for bring your mind even more into the "love" topic, but I'm being frank...at least about my own opinion on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shows what a noob blogger I am...I just happened on your comment here lol about a month after you posted it! Don't apologise for your opinions and I welcome them. There is truth in what you say...for even as I lament life's reminders of love, I realise the futility of it, as you so rightly point out, it is nigh impossible to turn your back on love. Sometimes, just a little numbness is all I seek...when I'm tired and night melds into day into night....and I wish for brief respite from it all...then I choose to run away from love. Tis a fool who does so, alas I never profess to be otherwise! Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete